From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone willing to share a kernel .config file?
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 22:28:11
1 Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >     I have an AMD Ryzen 7 2700 CPU sitting in a Gigabyte X470 Aurus
4 > Ultra Gaming motherboard with 64GB of RAM and an nVidia graphics card.
5 > For some reason I've never been happy with the kernels config.
6 > Considering the grunt this thing should have, I am seeing nothing like
7 > what I would expect. By way of example, if I am running a vid through
8 > VLC on one screen and get Firefox to create a new tab within the
9 > browser on another screen, the video in VLC freezes for several
10 > seconds. Other things freeze when I think they shouldn't be.
11 >
12 >     I know this problem could be related to Qt, KDE, VLC, Firefox etc,
13 > but I think I will take this opportunity to check that my foundations,
14 > the kernel, are solid in the first place before I start looking at
15 > other stuff.
16 >
17 >     Does anyone have a physical configuration like mine, and that they
18 > think runs well, and are willing to share the .config file?
19 >
20 >     Regards,
21 >         Andrew
26 I'd check to make sure that all core/threads are operational.  It could
27 be that for some reason only one core is actually running.  One way to
28 test that, start compiling gcc or something and run htop.  If setup
29 right, it will display a bar graph for each core/thread.  If you don't
30 see the number that you should, then yea, the kernel config could be a
31 issue or the mobo settings one.
32
33 I'm sure someone with a similar setup will share a config soon.  Just
34 something you might want to check in the meantime.
35
36 Dale
37