From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any decent alternative to Thunderbird?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 22:59:44
1 On Sunday, 14 November 2021 22:23:33 GMT Wol wrote:
2 > Which is sadly slowly proving itself a crap piece of software.
3 >
4 > I don't want to blame TB for the fact it keeps on crashing on Wayland
5 > (although it's my only software which does that), but I'm just getting
6 > totally fed up with the number of tabs that get opened.
7 >
8 > Looking on the web, the general response seems to be "well, don't open
9 > so many tabs, learn how they work", but I don't open tabs!
10 >
11 > And I'm writing this email because I literally just watched TB open a
12 > whole bunch of tabs in front of me. And they weren't even from the
13 > folder I was in! They weren't even from the mail account I was in!
14 >
15 > And it's a pain in the arse because all of a sudden I've got a load of
16 > emails marked "read" (because TB's read them for me) that I haven't seen...
17 >
18 > Cheers,
19 > Wol
20
21 Just tested T'bird on Plasma Wayland and it does not crash or open any
22 unsolicited tabs. I don't have any addons other than calendar, which works as
23 advertised.
24
25 Mozilla Firefox was rather unstable on Wayland until a month or so ago - can't
26 recall what T'bird was like at the time because I do not use it regularly. I
27 assume both applications use the same window rendering mechanism and widgets.
28 After a recent Plasma/Wayland and/or Firefox update, I noticed it started
29 behaving properly without flickering, or disappearing and generally becoming
30 unusable as an application. Before its latest improvement I had to switch off
31 "Use smooth scrolling" to stop it flickering and then minimise/maximise the
32 window to get Firefox to stabilise.
33
34 I'm mentioning all this in case a Firefox/T'bird and/or Plasma update will fix
35 it.
36
37 I have found desktop mail clients, for those of us who still use them, is a
38 highly subjective choice. User brains are wired differently and the workflow of
39 one client suits us better than any other. I think the best approach is to
40 try other mail clients for a week or so and see if you can live with them, in
41 preference to T'bird.