From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: No more mythtv for Gentoo users?
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:31:59
1 On 2010-03-03, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Grant Edwards
3 >>
4 >> I read the instructions for fixing the broken database encoding, but
5 >> it appears mine is fine -- so updating to 0.22 won't be quite as
6 >> painful as it might have been. ??I'll still have to re-build the
7 >> frontend, since 0.22 doesn't use a compatible protocol.
8 >
9 > You are already using latin1 throughout your database?
10
11 Apparently:
12
13 $ mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'status;'
14 Enter password:
15 --------------
16 mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.84, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 6.0
17
18 Connection id: 106
19 Current database: mythconverg
20 Current user: mythtv@localhost
21 SSL: Not in use
22 Current pager: stdout
23 Using outfile: ''
24 Using delimiter: ;
25 Server version: 5.0.84-log Gentoo Linux mysql-5.0.84-r1
26 Protocol version: 10
27 Connection: Localhost via UNIX socket
28 Server characterset: latin1
29 Db characterset: latin1
30 Client characterset: latin1
31 Conn. characterset: latin1
32 UNIX socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
33 Uptime: 1 day 20 hours 44 min 55 sec
34
35 Threads: 5 Questions: 261810 Slow queries: 0 Opens: 1400 Flush tables: 1 Open tables: 59 Queries per second avg: 1.625
36 --------------
39 > You are lucky if that's true. It isn't for me but I've been running
40 > myth for about 4 years now.
41
42 I've been running Myth for a while (6 years?), but this database was
43 created about 7 months ago when I switched from a dedicated FE/BE
44 machine running KnoppMyth to a split FE/BE setup where the BE runs on
45 a non-dedicated Gentoo machine. Not sure how it ended up this way
46 other than the fact that I don't have UTF support enabled on that box
47 (at some point in the past, having UTF support enabled broke something
48 else, but I don't remember what).
49
50 > I would suggest that if you use __any__ remote frontends and there is
51 > any chance of someone else powering one up and using Myth then you
52 > should first emerge -C mythtv on ALL frontend-only machines,
53
54 The FE doesn't run Gentoo, it runs MiniMyth -- I _think_ all I need to
55 do is replace the 0.21 rootfs on the USB flash drive with the one
56 containing 0.22...
57
58 > upgrade your server, emerge mythtv-0.22 on one frontend, make sure it
59 > works, and then move on with any other machine.
60 >
61 > Good luck and report back how it goes!
64 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Are we on STRIKE yet?
65 at
66 gmail.com