From: Roger Light <rogerlight@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to work with etc-updates.
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:44:53
1 On 30/08/05, Jerry Turba <jturba@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > As I understand the process etc-update lists new configuration files
4 > provided by the program authors. I have tried to define some rules for
5 > myself to determine how to handle these new files.
6 >
7 > 1. If I made a change to a file I will never allow the new config file
8 > to overwrite the old file.
9
10 This isn't really a good idea. There are definitely cases where the
11 new file will provide important updates that you need. Not updating
12 the config file could lead to the associated program no longer working
13 or you missing out on a useful feature.
14
15 Using etc-update, select the file you have changed and look at the
16 differences. You may see that other than the changes you made, there
17 are only updates to comments within the file. In this case you can of
18 course just ignore the update.
19
20 If there are real updates and your own update looks as though it is
21 still valid then use the "Interactively merge original with update"
22 option. You can then choose which lines to include in the new file.
23 The left hand side of the diff output is the original file, the right
24 hand side is the new. So for each line presented, apart from for the
25 lines that you have modified, input "r" to choose the right hand side
26 line. For the lines you changed, input "l" to choose your version.
27
28 Always verify the resulting file with "Show differences between merged
29 file and original" before selecting the "Replace YOUR_FILE with merged
30 file" option.
31
32 All just my opinion of course...
33