From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB crucial file recovery
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 18:10:01
1 Am 31.08.2016 um 16:33 schrieb Michael Mol:
2 >
3 > In data=journal mode, the contents of files pass through the journal as well,
4 > ensuring that, at least as far as the filesystem's responsibility is concerned,
5 > the data will be intact in the event of a crash.
6
7 a common misconception. But not true at all. Google a bit.
8 >
9 > Now, I can still think of ways you can lose data in data=journal mode:
10 >
11 > * You mounted the filesystem with barrier=0 or with nobarrier; this can result
12
13 not needed.
14
15 > in data writes going to disk out of order, if the I/O stack supports barriers.
16 > If you say "my file is ninety bytes" "here are ninety bytes of data, all 9s",
17 > "my file is now thirty bytes", "here are thirty bytes of data, all 3s", then in
18 > the end you should have a thirty-byte file filled with 3s. If you have barriers
19 > enabled and you crash halfway through the whole process, you should find a file
20 > of ninety bytes, all 9s. But if you have barriers disabled, the data may hit
21 > disk as though you'd said "my file is ninety bytes, here are ninety bytes of
22 > data, all 9s, here are thirty bytes of data, all 3s, now my file is thirty
23 > bytes." If that happens, and you crash partway through the commit to disk, you
24 > may see a ninety-byte file consisting of thirty 3s and sixty 9s. Or things may
25 > landthat you see a thirty-byte file of 9s.
26 >
27 > * Your application didn't flush its writes to disk when it should have.
28
29 not needed either.
32 > * Your vm.dirty_bytes or vm.dirty_ratio are too high, you've been writing a
33 > lot to disk, and the kernel still has a lot of data buffered waiting to be
34 > written. (Well, that can always lead to data loss regardless of how high those
35 > settings are, which is why applications should flush their writes.)
36 >
37 > * You've used hdparm to enable write buffers in your hard disks, and your hard
38 > disks lose power while their buffers have data waiting to be written.
39 >
40 > * You're using a buggy disk device that does a poor job of handling power
41 > loss. Such as some SSDs which don't have large enough capacitors for their own
42 > write reordering. Or just about any flash drive.
43 >
44 > * There's a bug in some code, somewhere.
45
46 nope.
47 > In-memory corruption of a data is a universal hazard. ECC should be the norm,
48 > not the exception, honestly.