From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tuning desktop appearance for legibility
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 12:24:37
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 03/09/20 18:44, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
3 >> i think this problem that we have could've been
4 >> avoided if the web was originally designed to only
5 >> deliver content, without any power to dictate
6 >> appearance, so that appearance is 100% a task that
7 >> a local client should choose.
8 > Isn't that how the web originally WAS designed? That the web-site sent
9 > content and the browser determined how it was displayed?
10 >
11 > My big bugbear is when I hit "print" and what comes out on the printer
12 > bears no resemblance WHATSOEVER to what is displayed on screen - ie
13 > pretty much every big shop website there is ...
14 >
15 > Cheers,
16 > Wol
21 Some sites, not many tho, have a printable version.  Gentoo for example
22 has that.  Another common type of site, recipes.  I've seen a few that
23 don't have printable versions but most do.  Other than that, you are
24 correct.  This is why I often save a web page, then use copy and paste
25 to put the content in LOo Writer.  At that point, I edit the thing until
26 it looks like I want.  Most sites, once you know what to remove and
27 where they are, you can edit a page in just a few minutes.
28
29 Still, web sites seem to want to make using the internet hard or at
30 least annoying.  Of course, they know people will surf the internet
31 since there is a ton of info out there.  There's not much you can't find
32 if you look hard enough.
33
34 Dale
35