From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: speedtouch router 3 pc LAN problems
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:41:58
1 On Monday 16 October 2006 07:24, Tim Barker wrote:
2 > Here is the setup:
3 >
4 > Workgroup LAN currently with 2 PCs (will be 3). XP home is the OS. Router
5 > is supplied by Bigpond, a Speedtouch 536 (or 538?) router/modem.
6 >
7 > Thought I configured the modem correctly, VNC was in the setup for home
8 > networks - so how hard can it be? Hah hah ha ... sigh.
9 >
10 > I get the 10061 error, Connection refused. I have firewall at server end
11 > turned of .. so it isn't that, so it's the router....
12 > I can't even ping the silly router - I do loath these particular routers
13 > .....
14 >
15 > Any bright ideas??
16
17 You'll need to forward the port that your VNC server is listening at for
18 connections from the router to the PC that runs the server. This is
19 called 'port forwarding' and if I recall correctly the documentation has a
20 link to a website with instructions for setting this up on different routers.
21
22 Basically, if your router does not have a ready made menu on its GUI for port
23 forwarding (otherwise you just fill in the port No e.g. 5900 and your PC's
24 LAN IP address e.g. 192.168.0.3) you will need to set up a new service at
25 your router and a firewall rule to accept that newly set up service. In the
26 service menu fill in the port No., and protocol (TCP and, or UDP) and in the
27 firewall rules menu create a new 'allow always' rule and fill in your PC LAN
28 IP address and perhaps which IP address(es) you want to accept connections
29 from.
30
31 HTH
32 --