From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] power button to shutdown for openrc? [SOLVED]
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 11:22:10
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 10:50:08 +0000, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Magic SysReq would probably have helped in those situations. ext3/4
5 >>> only journal metadata by default, you can specify a mount option to
6 >>> also journal data but it impacts performance.
7 >> When X hangs and I lose the keyboard to the extent where neither
8 >> Ctrl+Alt+F1, or Ctrl+Alt+Del would work, I will use ssh to connect
9 >> remotely and stop the hanging process or restat the X server. If ssh
10 >> is also not working, I use the magic SysReq sequence to stop processes,
11 >> sync the disks and reboot, or shutdown. I don't recall losing data in
12 >> such cases, although when I have time I run fsck with Live media just
13 >> in case.
14 > I do the same, but configuring the power button to do a clean shutdown
15 > may like life simpler.
20 I don't have a second system to ssh in with but if I did, that's what
21 I'd do as well, or try at least.  Recently, I only run into trouble when
22 a tab on Firefox goes memory hungry.  Most of the time it grows slowly
23 and I'm able to catch it.  I just close Firefox or just kill that one
24 process, which kills Tree Style Tab add-on.  Once it consumes my memory
25 and most of my swap, it gets pretty unresponsive.  o_O  I think I did a
26 thread on this a while back.  I'm not sure which to blame, the add-on or
27 Firefox or even both.
28
29 It's rare that I have a hard lock up that is the kernel itself.  Usually
30 I can get something to work given enough time.  Still, given the amount
31 of data I have stored here, some irreplaceable, options are nice.  Good
32 clean options are really nice.
33
34 Dale
35