From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Combine AVSEQxx.DAT files into Matroska
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:12:59
1 On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > Hello list!
3 >
4 > I know this is kind of off-topic... but as we all know this is a list
5 > where the SNR is perhaps the highest one can ever find in the
6 > Internet, so...
7 >
8 > Let's say I have a bunch of AVSEQxx.DAT files, ripped from a Video CD
9 > (VCD). This VCD is *mine*, purchased legally, I just want to rip it to
10 > .mkv to prevent scratches & all.
11 >
12 > The rip was done properly (methinks) using IsoBuster in Windows (using
13 > the "Extract but filter only MPEG frames").
14 >
15 > How do I merge them into a Matroska container with chapter links?
16 > (Each AVSEQxx.DAT file is a song).
17 >
18 > (Note: My Gentoo is currently living as a Vbox Guest VM, without GUI,
19 > so I'd really appreciate a CLI solution).
20
21 I think mkvmerge from media-video.mkvtoolnix package is the go-to tool
22 for this kind of thing. It has a very long manpage which hopefully
23 will contain the information you're looking for.
24
25 VCD .DAT file is just an mpeg2 stream, you can imagine the file is
26 named .mpg instead and it should work the same... "ffmpeg -i file.dat"
27 to see specific codec/rate info about it.