From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:57:15
1 Joshua D Doll wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Paul Hartman
4 >> <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> I completely agree. I like the control also.
6 >>
7 >> I only took a *very* small exception to Joshua's statement that a 'new
8 >> user' could read, follow it and understand what it's telling him/her
9 >> to do and then do it and come out with a working machine. I think it's
10 >> true if the new user builds exactly the 3 partition example shown in
11 >> the docs and does *only* the very basic install on a machine that
12 >> doesn't have Windows, etc. However I think that the docs (not the
13 >> software!) could be improved to handle things like dual-boot, either
14 >> another distro or windows, etc. which personally I think 'new users'
15 >> come up against. Issues about stuff like where to put the MBR, why and
16 >> why not to do that sort of thing, requires (or is vastly enhanced) if
17 >> that new user has some knowledge about hard drives, booting, etc.
18 >>
19 >> - Mark
23 > I 100% agree that the docs can and should cover more. Maybe a
24 > flowchart would be useful?
25 >
26 > --Joshua Doll
30 I wish the man pages had more examples. Give me a real world example
31 and I can wrap my poor brain around what it should look like when I do
32 something.
33
34 Dale
35