From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What's with this hald thing and why can't I rip CDs any more?
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 00:37:53
1 I went to rip a few CDs today. It used to work. It's always worked .
2 It's worked for years it worked.
3
4 Today it doesn't work....
5
6 First problem is apps don't see the CDs. Running sound-juicer in a
7 terminal mentioned hald might not be running. I look in rc-update and
8 find hald. I start it. sound-juicer works, sort of. It starts ripping,
9 eventually says it finished, but when I look at the directory when the
10 flac files are supposed to be I get maybe 2 out of 10. The rest are
11 all 0 bytes. No error messages at all.
12
13 How could I rip flac files by hand and get more info?
14
15 What is hald and when did it show up as necessary. I watched movies
16 using xine the other day and didn't need it. Is this a
17 Gnome/sound-juicer thing or something more global?
18
19 What's wrong with ripping?
20
21 Thanks,