From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone running a gentoo guest on virtualbox?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 20:05:37
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 21:27 on Tuesday 31 May 2011, Mick did opine
2 thusly:
3
4 > On Tuesday 31 May 2011 08:07:24 Pandu Poluan wrote:
5 > > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 13:56, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
6 >
7 > wrote:
8 > > > On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
9 > > >> Meh, I clicked 'Send' too fast.
10 > > >>
11 > > >> *My* suggested solution:
12 > > >>
13 > > >> Generate an initramfs containing udev. The hands-down easiest way is
14 > > >> using genkernel's 'only create an initramfs' switch (sorry I forgot
15 > > >> what exactly).
16 > > >
17 > > > good god no, please, anything but genkernel.
18 > > >
19 > > > That thing is an attempt to emulate binary distros which require an
20 > > > initramfs to work properly (for any sane definition of "work") as the
21 > > > person building the installer has no idea what hardware the user will
22 > > > have. In Gentoo the user knows exactly what they have so there's no
23 > > > need for a gigantic hardware-detecting workaround at boot time.
24 > > >
25 > > >> This needs to be done exactly once throughout the life of your VM.
26 > > >>
27 > > >> (To the herd of Gentoo graybeards, feel free to CMIIW)
28 > > >
29 > > > Or wait a few days for vapier's (posting under his other name of
30 > > > spanky) sane advice to be implemented. His proposal is the sole voice
31 > > > of reason in that bug thread....
32 > >
33 > > True. But I was having problem installing 2 servers on top of XenServer.
34 > >
35 > > So I cheated and ran 'genkernel initramfs' exactly once. At least I
36 > > got myself a booting system. :-)
37 > >
38 > > When SpanKY's makedev gets stabilized and pushed to baselayout, I'll
39 > > then happily ditch the genkernel cheat for my next VMs :-)
40 >
41 > Are you sure that manually creating /dev/console and /dev/null isn't all
42 > that is required? The rest of the devices will be created by udev when it
43 > runs at boot time.
44
45 null and console are the absolute irreducible minimum but there's one that can
46 be dispensed with if the correct kernel option is enabled.
47
48 We don't need everything that makedev traditionally provided (like every block
49 device type known to man, floppys and ancient ptys) but the rest number about
50 ~250 and are useful in single-user mode if udev fails to start.
51
52 Considering that ~250 devices consumes a teeny-weeny bit of disk space and
53 they are hidden from view normally, I say it's worth it leaving them in. Which
54 is what vapier also says.
58 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com