From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] logging my activity for audits
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 15:17:23
1 On 09/11/2018 04:52 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Is there a recommended way to track the logs? Specific setup for
3 > syslog-ng or in my case journald?
4
5 Tracking log files is different than getting things into log files.
6
7 By default, shell history is decidedly excluded from system logs.
8
9 There are some hacks (that's a generous term) that can (usually) log
10 shell history.
11
12 > Maybe I should setup remote syslog here?
13
14 Remote syslog does have the added advantage of not being on the local
15 system that an administrator (presumably) has a full access to.
16
17 There is a big difference in logging where an administrator can modify
18 said logs verses where they can't. On box is the former, off box is the
19 latter.
24 Grant. . . .
25 unix || die