From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: aligning SSD partitions
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 12:52:18
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 06:31:24 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Not quite. The theory is that if you put portages work directory on
5 >> tmpfs, then all the writes and such are done in ram which is faster. If
6 >> you have portages work directory on disk, it will be slower because the
7 >> disk is slower.
8 > But the disk is not used when you have enough RAM to keep everything
9 > cached. So you are comparing the speed of storing all files in RAM with
10 > the speed of storing all files in RAM, so it is hardly surprising that
11 > the two tests give similar results.
12 >
13 > The fact that in one scenario the files do end up on disk is irrelevant,
14 > you are working from RAM copies of the files in both instances.
15 >
16 > By running the test on a lightly loaded machine, you are also removing
17 > the possibility of files being flushed from the cache in the
18 > tmpdir-on-disk setup, so I would expect you to get comparable results
19 > either way.
20 >
21 > The only real benefit of using tmpfs is the one you mentioned elsewhere,
22 > that the disks don't get bothered at all.
26 I don't think that is correct. I am clearing the files in ram. That's
27 the point of drop_caches is to clear the kernels cache files. See post
28 to Nicolas Sebrecht a bit ago.
29
30 Dale
31
35 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!