From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VMWare & (Gentoo) Linux
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:55:19
1 Hi.
2
3 On 28/03/06, Jeff <jmg_071769@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 > Hey all.
6 >
7 > I have a question for any VMWare Linux users. My greatest concern, is
8 > Windows being installed and run on top of Linux. When Windows is
9 > 'virtually' up and running, does it work as normal? AKA, does it detect
10 > devices and what not, enabling printing, networking, etc?
13 VMWare basically emulates a subset of PC hardware (an Intel processor, RAM,
14 graphics, sound, and network cards). These are usually "VMWare-specific" or
15 very common hardware devices, but VMWare releases the specifications for,
16 e.g. its graphics-card emulation so that people can write drivers for them.
17 AFAIK, all current versions of Windows should run on VMWare.
18
19 No modification of the guest operating system beyond choosing the correct
20 drivers is required; Windows should do this itself. You may experience some
21 difficulty if you attempt to use the same partition for both a VMWare-hosted
22 guest OS and "standalone", i.e. running it on the hardware rather than in
23 VMWare.
24
25 VMWare should give you:
26
27 SVGA graphics
28
29 Centronics printer interface
30
31 Networking
32
33 CD-ROM drive
34
35 USB ports (??)
36
37 You will NOT be able to use any hardware from Windows that the host
38 (presumably Gentoo Linux) cannot use itself. Conversely, if the hardware
39 device is supported in Windows then VMware can use it to provide
40 functionality not available in another system. (For example, I use FreeBSD
41 under VMWare on a Windows XP laptop so that I can use its network bridging
42 functionality to take advantage of wireless networking.)
45 > With Windows
46 > running under VMWare, are you able to scan the host operating system's
47 > file system in any way?
48 >
49 > I haven't used VMWare for a very long time. Just wanted to get some input.
50 >
51 > Thanks much!
52 >
53 > -Jeff
56 If you make a hard drive from a file (the default), you will be able to use
57 any tools you would use on a normal Linux file, but e.g. you will not be
58 able to write to NTFS unless you set up shares between the host and guest
59 using samba. If you install the guest OS directly onto a hard drive or
60 partition, then you will be limited to using the partition and
61 filesystem-editing tools in Linux, but again you can use samba to network
62 the host and guest filesystems.
63
64 Jeff
65 --
66 ------------------------------------------------------
67
68 "I have /conquered Gaul/,
69 and subdued Pompey! I think I can handle
70 a small boy and a eunuch!"
71
72 -- Ciaran Hinds as Caesar -
73