From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] poppler vs virtual/poppler & eix-test-obsolete
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:21:11
1 On Sunday 14 February 2010 22:10:05 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Mostly in support of (I think) KDE I have poppler installed which
4 > seems to cause eix-test-obsolete a little indigestion. It sees
5 > virtual/poppler as installed but says they are not in the database.
6 >
7 > Do I have a problem here (eix-test-obsolete itself or my use of it,
8 > use flags, some sort of database problem, etc.) or is this some sort
9 > of ebuild problem that will likely get worked out over the next few
10 > weeks?
11
12 I saw this a few days ago.
13
14 virtual/poppler is not in portage anymore. We now just have regular poppler,
15 xpdf, et al.
16
17 Just remove poppler from world if you have it there - you shouldn't, it's a
18 lib and should be pulled in by everything that DEPENDs on it.
19
20 Latest masked portage deals with this kind of nonsense nicely. If you use an
21 old portage, you may have to unmerge what you have and remerge the real one.
22
23 FWIW, poppler is one of those packages seemingly run by an insane idiot. Every
24 new minor point version seems to block the one before it, implying API/ABI
25 breaks across minor versions. Which is thick beyond belief. It's a problematic
26 package and one that I seemed to umerge/merge often in the pre-portage-2.2
27 days
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com