From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Time to move on?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:52:33
1 On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 07:37:50 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > 090322 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4
5 > > I hope you use --oneshot every time
6 > > or your world file will be a complete mess by now :(
7 >
8 > Yes, there's always someone who says that (grin).
9
10 I wouldn't want to disappoint you :)
11
12 > Of course, it's 2nd nature to check for 'W' or 'S' in my list
13 > & if the pkg has neither, make sure to 'emerge -1 <pkgname>'.
14
15 I just use -1 whenever I re-emerge anything, whether it's in world or not.
16
17 > Anyway, isn't 'world' going to vanish with the new '@' sets ?
18
19 No.
20
21 > > One or two problems a week against the thousands of people running it
22 > > each day does not indicate a problem. I'd say that avoiding blockers
23 > > etc by selectively skipping upgrades is more likely to lead to
24 > > problems later.
25
26 > No, people run 'emerge world' in the background, miss the messages
27 > & then run into nasty trouble for omitting RR or 'etc-update'.
28
29 Don't blame hammers because people try to use them to drive screws.
30
31 Letting idiots break their systems is a refreshing sign of Gentoo's lack
32 of idiot-proofing :)
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 All mail what i send is thoughly proof-red, definately!