From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 04:36:12
1 On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 01:00:06AM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
4 >>> > * Separate /usr worked fine for AGES, until... Do you see a pattern
5 >>> > developing here?
6 >>> >
7 >>> seperate /usr has stopped working fine AGES AGO. Just some setups were
8 >>> lucky enough not to stumble over the wreckage and fall into the shards.
9 >>
10 >> I.e. the 99% who don't need initramfs before today. Some corner case
11 >> exotic setups require complex solutions... no ifs/ands/ors/buts. All
12 >> the complaining you hear is from the other 99% who's setup worked just
13 >> fine with the simple solution, suddenly finding the complex solution
14 >> rammed down their throats.
15 >
16 > funny. In the Linux community, running an "init thingy" is the 99%. We peeps
17 > with our custom kernels and builtin drivers are the 1%.
18
19 And growing smaller. I used to compile *everything* in my kernels; I
20 had a warm fuzzy feeling when in my laptop I did lsmod, and nothing
21 was listed.
22
23 Then I started to use an initramfs, and I found quite elegant that you
24 can put everything in modules, since from the initramfs udev will
25 take care of loading the necessary (and *only* the necessary).
26
27 Nowadays I have everything in modules; filesystems even. I'm still
28 using custom kernels thought.
29
30 And, on a personal note, I find a little quaint (and somehow naïve) to
31 think about (for example) bluetooth as a "corner case", when most of
32 us walk with a bluetooth enabled Linux computer on our pockets.
33
34 I want Gentoo Linux on my cellphone. And it's probably not going to
35 happen with OpenRC.
36
37 Regards.
38 --