From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to configure thochpad sensitivity (using hal)?
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 00:27:40
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 00:56 on Tuesday 16 November 2010, Dale did
3 > opine thusly:
6 >> Actually, it rendered mine broken and not usable. If upstream walks off
7 >> the edge of a cliff, does Gentoo follow upstream then? What would have
8 >> been nice is if Gentoo would have at least made it something that the
9 >> user has to chose to do pro-actively and not the default. If they had
10 >> done that, for say six months or more, then the devs would have been
11 >> able to see the disaster and left it off by default. Actually, they may
12 >> could have even seen that it wasn't going to last at all and then not
13 >> ever have a user using it unless they chose too and enabled it
14 >> themselves. It's not like hal lasted for many years as a "stable" project.
15 >>
16 > Actually it did last many years as a stable project. A very very very early
17 > ubuntu was the first to start using it. That gives it about 3 to 4 years or so
18 > - a long time in the software world.
19 >
20 > In relation to the total number of Gentoo users, the number affected by HAL
21 > was small indeed. I myself had no ill-effects across several machines (other
22 > than XML-induced frustration).
23 >
24 > Your experience, though painful, was not the norm. Sometimes devs have to make
25 > hard decisions, like break a small number of user's configs. At least they
26 > gave you a flag you could use. Once it was evident that HAL was a total POS,
27 > they have another hard decision: revert to no-HAL? What will that break? How
28 > many unknown setups out there that are the opposite of Dale? What about the
29 > next version of X.org that will not support HAL? Do they arbitrarily revert
30 > the default to sans-HAL only to make it something else next verion? That may
31 > piss off a lot of users.
34 >> I generally trust the devs. I did when I let hal take over the config
35 >> of X since it was the new way of doing things. You think I feel the
36 >> same way now?
37 >>
38 > I think you are colouring the whole canvas with your own singular experience.
39 > One mis-judgement does not make a wreaked ecosystem, and shit does happen.
40 > SOmetimes in this world you're the hammer, sometimes the nail. You were the
41 > nail.
42 >
43 > I don't disagree that HAL is an utter POS. I just don't agree with your
44 > reasoning that brought you personally to that conclusion.
49 When it happens to me, I do take it seriously and I give it a lot of
50 thought on future changes. After having this rig about 7 or 8 years,
51 hal is the only reason I have ever had to pull the plug out of the
52 wall. That is what I base my conclusion on because that is what
53 happened to me here. Yea, it worked for a lot of people but it left me
54 with a mess.
55
56 Maybe everyone that hal worked well for still has that trust. Thing is,
57 it didn't here. I lost a little of that trust. Some of the reasoning
58 behind this may have a lot to do with my health situation. I don't
59 trust Drs to much either. They are the reason I am where I am and I
60 wish I hadn't trusted them oh so many years ago. I like to belive that
61 people will do the right thing but it appears that depends on the
62 situation. I just got a mess out of them both. Seems to happen a lot.
63
64 What's the old saying: If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any
65 luck at all.
66
67 Dale
68