From: Andrew Barchuk <andrew@×××××××.io>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrade confusion
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 18:58:38
Hi Jalus,

> This is where I'm confused; which .config file (/proc/config.gz or > /boot/config)
The two should have the same content most of the time. You can use either. config.gz needs to be decompressed (e.g. with zcat).
In the root of the kernel source tree which is /usr/src/linux if the new kernel is set with eselect kernel. Make sure to read https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade which explains all these steps in detail. --- Andrew