From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Technical imap mail question
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 22:01:30
1 On 16/10/15 02:00, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 10/15/2015 01:04 PM, walt wrote:
3 >> My ISP recently started offering imap email service in addition to
4 >> the pop3/smtp servers they've always had, so I decided to try it.
5 >>
6 >> I was surprised to see that they recommend using a different smtp
7 >> server name when setting up my mail client, and they even offer the
8 >> option of using port 587 instead of 465 if I prefer it.
9 >>
10 >> ...
11 >>
12 >> (The different server names actually resolve to the same IP address, so
13 >> the distinction seems to be more theoretical than real, but the theory
14 >> is what puzzles me.)
17 > Port 587 offers optional TLS security, and it uses an "SSL certificate"
18 > just like a website. And just like a website, there's a name on the
19 > certificate, and that name has to match what you type in the "SMTP
20 > server" box, otherwise your mail client will throw a warning.
25 which makes sense if their old server was called pop3.isp ?
26
27 Avoiding user confusion - map pop3.isp, imap.isp and mail.isp to the
28 same address.
29
30 Pre-planning for future expansion/configuration changes?
31
32 d) all the above :)
33
34 BillK