From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:21:28
1 Paul Hoy wrote:
2 > My original email was 23/24 packages for x86. However, after reading
3 > your email, I compared the first 10 kde updates with ~x86 releases. It
4 > came out that Fedora was ahead 50 percent of the time or both distros
5 > shared the same release versions. In case I'm doing something
6 > incorrectly, you can also view the updates at
7 > http://fedoraproject.org/infofeed/
8 >
9 > Of course, this new comparison is between testing releases and so-called
10 > stable Fedora releases. There is a Fedora extras/unstable list (Fedora
11 > Core 4 Testing Updates) for that, but I don't receive that one. It also
12 > should be noted that the updates I listed happen to be mostly for Fedora
13 > 3, not Fedora 4. I compared some Fedora 4 releases the other day and
14 > shared them with this list and Fedora was ahead 90 percent of the time
15 > (out of about 10 recent release comparisons).
16 >
17 > Finally, after doing a ~x86 compare, I noticed that fedora-announce-list
18 > is slow to announce updates as most of the actual updates took place
19 > around the beginning of August by Redhat people. Not sure why that is.
20
21 I'd be curious as to how long this remains the case. In the past I've
22 seen binary distros leap ahead and they remain fairly up to date for a
23 period of time after their initial release. As time progresses they fall
24 behind and are unable to add software that requires newer core libs than
25 the ones they shipped with or releases that are too different from the
26 previous release. They continue falling further behind until the next
27 major release and the cycle starts again.
28
29 Assuming the above is correct outside my own experiences I'd trade
30 short bursts of current packages with a 6-8 month reinstall for long
31 term "just shy of bleeding edge." Afterall the mail server that sent
32 this started its life as Gentoo v1.2 three years ago.
33
34 kashani
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list