From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Shutdown, Gentoo and the Arietta.G25
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 17:46:39
1 Hi,
2
3 another >sigh< from an Arietta adventure...
4
5 I sintalled Gentoo on an Arietta G25
6 (http://www.acmesystems.it/arietta).
7
8 For this I used Robert Nelsons Kernel for armv5tel platforms,
9 which boots fine (using at91bootstrap, no U-Boot).
10
11 But: Shutdown (as recommmended by acmesystems "shutdown -h -H now")
12 REBOOTS the system instead of powering it down.
13
14 The hardware is not to blame: Using the original Debian rootfs
15 and the kernel 3.16.1 (Robert Nelsons kernel is 3.17.3.) the
16 powerdown works fine.
17
18 Firstly I blamed the kernel...but when using the 3.16.1 kernel
19 and the Gentoo rootfs the problem remains.
20
21 Then I copied the Gentoo shutdown to the Debian rootfs, boot that
22 and tries to shutdown the Debian Linux with it.
23 shutdown cries "no /dev/initctl" adn shutdowns the system only for
24 rebooting it.
25
26 Ok...seems to be the shutdown executable.
27
28 I copied the Debian shutdown to Gentoo and tries that:
29 The systems reboots.
30
31 Slowly but surely I begin to think, that I dont understand anything at all of
32 It would be relly good news,
33 that...
34
35 "man shutdown" on the Debian image informs me, that the manpages
36 were not installed (embedded system...). Shutdown --version gives
37 a short help of the usual options...but nothing more.
38
39 What is the difference here?
40 Isn't it, that all shutdown applications only send some instructions
41 to the kernel and the kernel is the main actor in bringing the system
42 down?
43
44 Is there any shutdown guru ;) out there, who is able to shed some
45 light into this problem ? :)
46
47 Thank you very much in advance for any torch send into my direction!
48 Best regards,
49 Meino