From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] excess x11 drivers
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:47:03
1 On Sunday 16 November 2008 02:24:10 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I posted some output in anther thread concerning update world
3 > (Subject: How to fix a hefty (emerge) blocking problem)
4 >
5 > Someone noticed I had too many x11 drivers installed and suggested I
6 > set the /etc/make.conf VIDEO_CARDS variable (which I never have set
7 > before)
8
9 X.org used to be a huge monolithic program - a holdover from the days before
10 it forked off from XFree86. It built every single driver in the package even
11 though it could only use one at a time.
12
13 Recently, X.org was improved to be modular, which means you could build only
14 the bits you need. A binary distro like Ubuntu still builds all of them as
15 they have no idea what hardware you have. On Gentoo, you build the thing
16 yourself. the env var VIDEO_CARDS is how you tell Gentoo what you have and it
17 builds only the necessary drivers. All those other packages are drivers you
18 don't use, they are in separate packages so they can be installed separately.
19
20 Some thing in this life you just ignore and filter out of your vision. Those
21 extra packages is one of those things.
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com