From: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting an exernal usb drive from grub
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:16:05
1 On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 17:11 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Michael Sullivan<msulli1355@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 16:38 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 > >> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Michael Sullivan<msulli1355@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> > My server box died last week, and, as it was about ten years old, I
6 > >> > decided to replace it. My wife and I opened the case and removed the
7 > >> > hard drive (A major undertaking for us, I might add). We hooked the old
8 > >> > hard drive up to a hard drive enclosure and plugged it via USB into a
9 > >> > new computer we bought this morning. This new computer runs Windows
10 > >> > Vista and only Windows Vista. I want to run Gentoo Linux on the
11 > >> > enclosure. I have to keep Windows on it because all the computer repair
12 > >> > shoppes around here only know Windows, and will be confused if I take it
13 > >> > in to be repaired and it isn't running Windows. I planned to install
14 > >> > grub on the main internal hard drive and use that to boot to the USB
15 > >> > drive. I checked the BIOS, and there's no option to boot to USB. I've
16 > >> > spent a couple of hours today googling this question, but all I can seem
17 > >> > to find is how to do this from a linux partition other than the one on
18 > >> > the USB drive. Is this even possible, and if so, how would I do it?
19 > >>
20 > >> It seems surprising that such a new computer wouldn't let you boot
21 > >> from USB. Usually in the boot order section of BIOS one of those
22 > >> choices will be "removable disk" or "external device" or something
23 > >> like that. That will typically boot your USB disk.
24 > >>
25 > >
26 > > Nope. The only things it has are floppy boot (It doesn't even have a
27 > > floppy drive!), cd boot, and hdd boot...
28 >
29 > I have also seen one computer where the external USB hard drive
30 > actually showed up in the "Hard drives" section along with the normal
31 > internal drives, in case you didn't look there already.
32 >
33 > Anyway, I am sure you can install GRUB to hard drive and have it boot
34 > from the USB disk without any problems -- as long as the USB disk can
35 > be seen by grub. I am not sure how the Vista boot loader and GRUB
36 > interact (or interfere) with each other. I think there is a way to
37 > calling grub from the Windows Vista boot loader so as to leave the
38 > Windows pieces of the boot process in-tact. I haven't done that myself
39 > so I can't give specific help, sorry.
40 >
41 > An alternative would be to do what I did with the Windows laptop I
42 > bought - just take out the factory Windows hard drive and put it on a
43 > bookshelf somewhere. Put in another hard drive and install Linux on
44 > it. If you ever need to bring it back to "Factory" you can just take
45 > it out and put the original hard drive back in the machine again. If
46 > you intend on actually using Windows, or do not have/cannot afford a
47 > second hard drive, then this is obviously not a realistic solution.
50 We can't take the hard drive out and put a different one in. I strongly
51 implied that my wife and I are clumsy. We don't have the fine motor
52 skills needed to put a hard drive into a computer. She barely had
53 enough skill to get that one out.