From: Wolf Canis <wolf.canis@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to set package.use for layman overlays
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 14:57:44
1 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > I've just started to use layman tools and wondered if setting such
3 > things as /etc/portage/package.use would still be done in that same
4 > place and same way?
5
6 I think yes.
9 > I want to install an overlay of emacs-cvs but with different use flags
10
11 I would say there is no problem, because in /etc/portage/package.use you
12 can decide what version with what flags.
15 > I'm following along with the instruction at:
16 > http://www.enigmacurry.com/2007/05/24/multi-tty-emacs-on-gentoo-and-ubuntu/
17 >
18 > On my laptop I run Gentoo Linux. Getting the latest version of Emacs on Gentoo was a breeze! :
19 >
20 > * Setup Layman
21 > * Add the emacs overlay: sudo layman -a emacs
22 > * Add the following USE flags for app-editors/emacs-cvs: sudo
23 > flagedit app-editors/emacs-cvs X Xaw3d alsa gif gzip-el jpeg
24 > lesstif png sound spell tiff toolkit-scroll-bars xpm -gtk
25 > -hesiod -motif -source.
26 > * GTK support is explicitly turned off as it causes problems with
27 > multi-TTY. This is no biggie for me as I always have
28 > (menu-bar-mode -1) and (tool-bar-mode -1) set.
29 > * Emerge: sudo emerge emacs-cvs -va
30 > * Tell the system to use the new emacs: sudo eselect emacs set emacs-23-multi-tty
33 > To get emacs-multitty set up. It isn't really clear what role layman
34 > plays in those instructions since the final command is
35 > emerge emacs-cvs
36
37 That's, so far I that understand, the advantage for
38 using overlays.
41 > Or will that automatically use the layman overlays.
42
43 Yes. Because emacs-cvs is in the portage-tree but masked.
46 > Or maybe the author assumes I don't already have emacs installed from
47 > /usr/portage.
48
49 If you want to install emacs-cvs from the portage tree, you have to
50 unmask this package:
51
52 $ emerge -atv emacs-cvs
53
54 These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
55
56 Calculating dependencies /
57 !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "app-editors/emacs-cvs" have been masked.
58 !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
59 request:
60 - app-editors/emacs-cvs-23.0.9999 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
61 - app-editors/emacs-cvs-23.0.50_pre20080201 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
62 - app-editors/emacs-cvs-22.2.9999 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
63
64 For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
65 refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
68 > I realize this is a little offhanded since its asking advice about 2nd
69 > party instructions. But I have no experience whatever with layman or
70 > using overlays at all. So thought maybe better to ask here than
71 > directly to the author of those instructions.
74 That's the way I see it.
75
76 W. Canis