From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh connections time out
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 05:18:15
1 Billy Holmes wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> didn't even name the systems since all I used them for was to run
5 >> folding. After I named them and put the entries in the hosts file, it
6 >> worked fine even when ssh'ing in with the IP number. Before that, it
7 >> took forever to login.
10 > google: reverse lookup dns wikipedia
11 >
12 > click on the first link
13 >
14 > that's what the REMOTE machine will do after you connect to it, but
15 > before you get a prompt. This can (normally) be configured on an
16 > application basis to not do it.
19 OK. I read most of it, what I could get a grip on anyway. Basically it
20 looks to see if that IP address has a name too. Sort of silly but,
21 whatever works I guess. At least now I sort of get what it means.
22
23 Thanks for the info.
24
25 Dale