From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where did lvm installation guide go?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 07:16:14
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 30/08/2013 07:36, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:21 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >>> No. Grub legacy does not support LVM for the /boot. That's why I
5 >>> have it there. UEFI only understands FAT. Which means you need to
6 >>> have a boot partition outside of LVM for that.
7 >> Good to know, thanks. Another reason not to use LVM I guess.
8 > Why not use LVM?
9 >
10 > Yes, it is some added complexity you need to understand but it stays out
11 > of your way till you need it, doesn't affect disk efficiency in any
12 > significant way and just works. When you need the services it offers
13 > they are there and until then just use mkfs and mount the block device
14 > it offers.
15 >
16 > Unless you have all your filesystems part of / itself, you run the risk
17 > of hitting hard limits rapidly and LVM gives you a proper way to deal
18 > with that, unlike using rigid partitions directly. I see a small amount
19 > of new code to understand followed by huge benefits.
20 >
21 > The best way to deal with this actual issue is the ZFS/btrfs approach
22 > but those aren't usable for the masses yet, whereas LVM is.
26 OP, I been using LVM for everything but /boot and / for a while now. I
27 have to say, it is really really nice to have. When something needs
28 more space, it is easily resized and life carries on.
29
30 Just pick the places where you can use it without adding any other
31 complexities you don't want. Example, don't want a init thingy, put /
32 on a regular partition and normal file system, just make sure you won't
33 fill it up for a very long time. Of course /boot has to be on a regular
34 file system too.
35
36 Hope that helps.
37
38 Dale
39
43 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!