From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Copying root to SSD in one go...a good idea...or?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 17:12:56
1 Hi,
2
3 currentlu I am preparing a new Gentoo Linux by compiling all
4 the application I had on my old system.
5
6 Due to delivery problems (corona) my SSD was delivered today
7 (or yesterday...it depends...;) .
8
9 When the whole compilation has finished and the system boots it
10 needs to be transfered to the SSD.
11
12 The SSD has a heat spreader...so it gets hot, when used.
13
14 Is it wise to copy the whole root system to the SSD in one go
15 in respect to a not so healthy heat increase?
16
17 And if not...how can I copy the root system in portions
18 to the SSD and do not miss anything?
19
20 Are there SDD-friendly and SSD-unfriendlu methods of copying
21 greater chunks of data to a SSD (rsync, tar-pipe, cp....)?
22 What is recommended here?
23
24 Thanks a lot for any help for a SSD newbie in advance!
25
26 Cheers! And stay heathy!
27 Meino