From: Jonathan <winelauncher.jonathan@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: w41ter@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How many ways are there for a user to increase their permissions?
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:00:55
1 On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:25:18 -0700
2 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I've been an amateur linux/*BSD user for about ten years or so, and I would love to
5 > answer your questions -- but I don't know the answers. Yet.
6
7 Around 4 years, 3 years with Ubuntu and one with Gentoo.
8
9 > While you and I wait for a guru to enlighten us, you might learn something here:
10 >
11 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_UNIX-HATERS_Handbook
12
13 I had a look at it. The whole thing is a rant. I think half of it does not apply to Linux and it's all very out of date.
14 On the other hand in "Accidents Will Happen" he talks about 'rm'.
15 I have never done a 'rm /' but I have done 'chmod 660 /', it made my blood run cold but that was very easy to fixes.
16 Now I always use the 'u+rwx' syntax.
17
18 Still waiting on the guru's!