From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Weird problem with emerge sync
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:28:40
1 I've been having this problem for a couple months now, but today I'm
2 annoyed enough to ask if there's something I can do about it.
3
4 Normally, I run esync as a cron job in the middle of the night (the
5 standard 3AM), and normally it works fine (though I had a few days where
6 the error I'm detailing below also occurred, but that seems to have
7 cleared up). I get the mail and it has information as it should.
8
9 It even went fine this afternoon, as my computer was off at 3AM, due to
10 severe thunderstorms, so the cron job ran at 1:20 PM when I turned it
11 back on.
12
13 However the second cron job was for revdep-rebuild -p, which suggested
14 that I'd want to rebuild hal and dbus (not expected, but not
15 unreasonable based on my activities of the last couple days), and when
16 I tried to do that, I got the dreaded
17
18 !!! Security Violation: A file exists that is not in the manifest.
19
20 error.
21
22 Which was bizarre, but no need to freak out; I know that that such an
23 error will likely be fixed with a sync. So I tried to esync with my
24 usual mirror pool, rsync.europe.gentoo.org, but, as
25 seems to happen if I sync in the afternoon (the previous sync not
26 withstanding), it failed. The sync started, and progressed quite far,
27 but then--
28
29 (errors from running emerge sync in a terminal, so I could see the
30 output, having no patience to read /var/log/emerge-sync.log for errors):
31
32 io timeout after 90 seconds - exiting
33 rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at io.c(109)
34
35 rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (2970632 bytes read so far)
36 rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(189)
37
38 |>>> retry ...
39
40 receiving file list ...
41 124787 files to consider
42 io timeout after 90 seconds - exiting
43 rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at io.c(109)
44 rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (3049937 bytes read so far)
45 rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(189)
46
47 All three retries, using mirrors from the Europe pool in Germany,
48 Finland and The Netherlands failed to complete with these errors.
49
50 So, as I always do, I changed my rsync mirror in /etc/make.conf to
51 rsync.us.gentoo.org, and it synced perfectly on the first try, as it
52 always does when I encounter this issue (and being
53 out-of-sync *was*, of course, the problem with revdep-rebuild, which is
54 now running its oneshots with no complaints).
55
56 What is going wrong here? It can't be my implementation of rsync (latest
57 stable), or the US pool would fail as well. It could be the servers in
58 the European pool, but... all of them?
59
60 Or am I simply using the wrong SYNC= in /etc/make.conf? My default is
61 rsync.europe.gentoo.org, and I don't see any documentation that
62 indicates that that has changed or become deprecated or invalid, but
63 maybe it has. I don't particularly want to switch permanently to the US
64 pool, as that just seems to make more vectors of instability for
65 everybody, and is not really the point of having continental mirror
66 pools anyway.
67
68 Anybody got a clue as to what's happening and what, if anything, I can
69 do to fix it?
70
71 Holly
72 --