From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] congruant gentoo servers
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 17:59:53
1 On Friday 27 June 2008, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I need to deploy a (gentoo) server, on an isolated, remote network,
5 > with just a few custom applications. However, to periodically
6 > update the gentoo distro, I want to build a second (congruent)
7 > system, that can be physically swapped for update, or in the
8 > event of failure (brain-dead, I know but for now, that's a
9 > hard constraint).
10
11 I have one question before I describe a few approaches that came to
12 mind:
13
14 Is the new (minimal) system a strict sub-set of the old (bloated one)?
15 As in, could you add to the minimal config a bunch of USE flags (that
16 would not change the overall behaviour of what is already there),
17 emerge a lot of new packages, and basically arrive at what you have on
18 the bloated machine?
21 Alan McKinnon
22 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
25 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list