From: Benjamin Fritzsche <BFritzsche@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] oxford vs prolific vs other firewire chipsets
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:43:21
1 On Monday 14 November 2005 08:31, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > (A little OT, but hey, I use gentoo :)
3 >
4 > I am looking for a recommendation for a usb 2 and firewire 2.5 inch
5 > external case.
6 >
7 > I heard that there are problems with the prolific firewire chipset, a
8 > friend had one that wiped the partition table every time he plugged it
9 > into his PC's firewire port! (same device worked ok with usb).
10 >
11 > I've also heard that the oxford chipset is good + fast.
12 >
13 > I am looking for something that will be able to push as much data from
14 > my 2.5in 60Gb 5400rpm laptop HD as possible. I'm replacing it with a
15 > larger HD so I want to use the storage in a reasonable manner.
16 >
17 > I appreciate your suggestions, especially if you're using a particular
18 > device already.
19 >
20 > Thanks,
21 > --
22 > Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
25 My Experience: get one with an oxford chip, you'll have less trouble.
26
27 I've got a noname enclosure with a prolific chip and had my partition table
28 wiped a few times.
29 It is now running stable, but only if you load the sbp2 module with
30 serialize_io=1. (Wich is the default since 2.6.14)
31 Since I figured that out i've had no problems with the device. also make sure
32 to get the latest firmware if you do go for prolific. you can get it for
33 their homepage somewhere and flash it using a windows box and usb.
34
35 So: Prolofic devices can be made to run stable but i've heard of no problems
36 with oxford chips.
37 unless you get a prolific really cheap go for oxford.
38
39 greets Benny
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list