From: David Blamire-Brown <david@××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Sharing a printer to XP: Samba vs IPP
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:42:33
1 Hi,
2 This is a question about a small home network set-up for printing. I can't tell if this is OT for this list, but that doesn't seem to be a firm restriction in this part of the world in any case!
3
4 I have a locally attached printer on a Gentoo machine. I have a Windows XP laptop. I would like to print from my XP laptop over the network to the printer.
5 I have followed the guide on gentoo.org. I've sort of got printing working via Samba, but haven't been able to configure it for XP users to print without having to login to Samba. So I'm looking back at using IPP on the XP laptop.
6
7 Anyway, the main question is, is Samba a preferred option, or is it just more complicated than using IPP? There are a couple of brief lines about printing via IPP in the Gentoo Printing Guide, but a whole separate guide on using Samba. I can't find any information on use of IPP vs Samba via a brief Google, but maybe I'm just not searching very well.
8
9 Regards,
10 David
11 --