From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where are the AMD microcode updates for spectre?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 14:01:07
1 On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 8:02 AM Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > I noticed something odd about the microcode however ...
4 > > amd-ucode/microcode_amd_fam15h.bin 7876 -> 5356 bytes
5 > .
6 > The size dropped by 2Kb?
7 > So is the "fix" actually disabling fixes for other problems?
8 > .
9
10 As far as I can tell there is no evidence that the new microcode fixes
11 anything, or that the old microcode it replaces fixes anything. At least
12 the size is objectively measurable. :)
13
14 Presumably the newer microcode is better in some way, or at least somebody
15 thought it is, possibly based on some knowledge of what it does.
18 Rich