From: Doug ONeal <oneal@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] problem reading zip files
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:12:00
1 I have had a problem dumped on me that I cannot resolve. A user
2 archived some very large
3 datasets using Info-zip (app-arch/zip-2.32-r1) and the original data has
4 been deleted. The zip
5 executable is a 64-bit binary and the user assumed that large archives
6 were possible. A typical
7 archive is on the order of 70GB and the largest is over 200GB
8 (compressed sizes). /usr/bin/zip did
9 not complain about creating the archive and /usr/bin/unzip -l lists the
10 contents correctly so the user
11 did not think there were any problems until it came time to extract a
12 file. Extracting any file that
13 is past the 4GB mark in the archive results in a 'bad zipfile offset'
14 error. This is consistent with the
15 FAQ on Info-zip's web site.
16
17 I am guessing that all of the data is actually present in the zip
18 archives but I cannot get to it. Trying
19 version 3.0 of info-zip or any of the other linux & windows unzip
20 programs has not been successful
21 in extracting any of the later files in the archives. I'm at a loss;
22 does anybody have suggestions on
23 how to retrieve this data? Thanks.
24
25 Doug