From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 20:04:46
1 Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
2 > Am Sonntag, 26. Juni 2011, 10:28:47 schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >> Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Am Samstag, 25. Juni 2011, 14:58:56 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
7 >>>
8 >>>> Whether "many" operations are written in Fortran is immaterial. What
9 >>>> matters to me is whether any on my system are. If they aren't, I
10 >>>> don't need a Fortran compiler and I'd rather not waste system
11 >>>> resources on building one.
12 >>>>
13 >>> Try euse -I fortran.
14 >>> If anything besides gcc pops up, you should have one.
15 >>>
16 >>> Regards
17 >>> Michael
18 >>>
19 >> That doesn't appear to work like it should then. I get this:
20 >>
21 >> root@fireball / # euse -I fortran
22 >> global use flags (searching: fortran)
23 >> ************************************************************
24 >> [+ CD ] fortran - Adds support for fortran (formerly f77)
25 >>
26 >> Installed packages matching this USE flag:
27 >> sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5
28 >>
29 >> local use flags (searching: fortran)
30 >> ************************************************************
31 >> no matching entries found
32 >> root@fireball / #
33 >>
34 >> Thing is, I know a couple packages use it on this rig because I just had
35 >> to recompile them. Cantor and R are two that I recall.
36 >>
37 >> Maybe it is because it is not a option in the list? The USE flag that is.
38 >>
39 > Iirc you had problems with -fortran, because you have packages that really
40 > need fortran. My suggestion was for people like Peter, who have no problems
41 > without fortran. It shows only packages which could perform better, if a
42 > fortran compiler is available and otherwise fallback to a C implementation. At
43 > least, I think it does :)
46 >> Dale
47 >> :-) :-)
48 >>
49 > Michael
53 Thing is, I switched it back and programs on here now need fortran to
54 build. So, euse is not reporting it but R and Cantor won't build
55 without fortran. Basically, euse should also report R and cantor but it
56 isn't. If mine isn't reporting that, then Peter's may not either.
57
58 Dale
59