From: Gustavo Campos <gucampos@××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Talking about fonts...
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 03:28:32
1 After Liviu's post about fonts I just start re-thinking about my font
2 setup. My fonts look really good, but for some reason I want to know
3 if they can look even better...
4
5 I remember some months ago the trouble about libxft and cairo patches
6 to enable bci stuff. Of course I've got freetype with bindist
7 disabled, but I want to know if that's enough... It still needed to
8 install patched versions of xft and cairo to achieve perfect results?
9 All this time I believed I had BCI hinting working on in all my apps,
10 but searching through gentoo forums I've found that this discussion is
11 still active, and even discovered the existence of a font-overlay
12 which looks to provide those patched versions.
13
14 Anyone has knowledge about the actual state of BCI rendering in
15 Gentoo? Portage versions of freetype, xft and cairo are enough to get
16 full features? I swear I tried to read all I could in the forums, but
17 the thread is a real mess now =)
18
19 Anyway, maybe I should be satisfied with the font quality I have now,
20 but I can't be blamed for hoping some possibly even better results,
21 can I?
24 Gustavo Campos
25
26 Ciência da Computação / Computer Science - UFMG
27 --
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list