From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} GPG: pub & sec keys required to decrypt?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 17:36:31
1 Grant wrote:
2
3 > My understanding of GPG is weak. Can someone point out my misconception(s)?
4
5 Speaking from a purely practical standpoint, keeping your private and
6 public keys completely separate is extremely inconvenient with (IMO) a
7 negligible security benefit.
8
9 However, there is arguably a much bigger security issue with keeping
10 your private key on a remote server, particularly one you have no
11 control over. Pulling your keypair locally and doing any decryption
12 operations locally is a much easier, and more practical, improvement.
13
14 If you keep the two halves of your keypair physically separate, then an
15 attacker would need to get two distinct pieces of information in order
16 to break any encryption using your keys. For extremely high security
17 purposes, this may be a worthy benefit. For something like email, your
18 public key should be considered common knowledge anyway. If an attacker
19 can gain control of your private key, the extra burden of getting your
20 public key is insignificant.
21
22 Put another way: a file containing both your public and private key
23 contains essentially the same amount of secure information as a file
24 containing only your private key. So long as your private key is kept
25 secure, with or without your public key, your risks should be minimal.
26
27 --K