From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] youtube-dl and the conf file.
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 21:12:20
1 On Wednesday, 28 October 2020 19:27:06 GMT Dale wrote:
2
3 > I'm thinking about replacing that cap and seeing if it works. I've
4 > repaired a few monitors that way but my question is, should I trust it
5 > after replacing that cap even if it works?? Should it be load tested or
6 > something? Does the protection circuitry only work once?
7
8 It depends what was damaged and the cause of it. It could be the capacitor
9 reached its predicted end of life. It could have been a transient voltage, in
10 which case more things in the protection circuit (diodes, resistors) may have
11 also been damaged.
12
13 I had an old desktop which during a lightning storm ended up with a blown PSU
14 and a blown winmodem. The winmodem was unrepairable, but the PSU survived
15 following the replacement of a single capacitor. :-)
16
17 For the cost of a capacitor I'd give it a try and then measure the output
18 voltages under load.