From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Disappointing USB3 performance
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 19:10:27
1 On 10/24/2011 08:28 PM, walt wrote:
2 > I just bought an add-on USB3 adapter and outboard USB3/sata docking
3 > station, and I've been comparing the performance with my old e-sata
4 > outboard docking station. Not so good :(
5 >[...]
6 > Over at least six trials on each docking station I consistently
7 > get 105 seconds for USB and 84 seconds for e-sata, a 5:4 ratio
8 > in favor of e-sata.
9
10 Doesn't look surprising to me. The USB protocol doesn't compare
11 favorably with SATA. It's good for "dumb" data transfers, but lacks
12 stuff like native command queuing and DMA operations. Most features
13 supported by the actual hard disk can't be used when you connect it
14 though USB.