From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is grub2 stable and who uses it?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 13:52:12
1 On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 07:51:04 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > /boot/grub/grub.cfg itself is 111 lines. Its not the most complex
4 > script going but for me it would take some serious study for an hour
5 > or more to figure out what is happening in it. But of course you are
6 > not supposed to edit grub.cfg directly.
7
8 But you can if you wish.
9 >
10 > It is orders of magnitude more complicated in my opinion... I'm not
11 > sure what the advantages are supposed to be.
12
13 Better automation.
14
15 > Also, its not clear how one would install a new kernel. Where to put
16 > the information and so forth.
17
18 See above. You don't put anything anywhere when installing a new kernel,
19 just run grub-update and it will be found and added to the menu. At the
20 same time, any old kernels you have deleted will be removed.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 System halted - hit any Microsoft employee to continue.