From: Jacob Todd <jaketodd422@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to compile for less bits :)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 23:47:12
Cross compiling on unix is confusing because the compiler sucks.

On 2010-09-29, meino.cramer@×××.de <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:

>> > (And in this context: The aud...
> Thank you very much for your offered help! > > Sorry, sorry I think my English confused a lot of i...
Cross-building stuff is just plain confusing.
> I'll try it again. > > Setup BEFORE I switched to 64bit Gentoo Linux. > * a "normal" system gcc a...
All you need to do is build a cross compiler for the ARM9 target the same way you did before. The width of the host where you're building things doesn't matter (if it does, that's a bug in gcc or binutils). I've had excellent results using the crosstool-ng makefile: http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/crosstool Crosstool is used by a lot of embedded developers. If there were problems building an ARM comiler on an AMD64 host, Yann Morin et al. are your best bet for a solution. You may want to take a look at the crossgcc mailing list: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.cross-compiling http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/ From a brief search of the mailing list, it appears that building an ARM compiler on an AMD64 machines works just fine. or, It's quite likely that you can install IA32 libraries on your AMD64 host OS and then use the exact same compiler executable you used before.
> OR: compiled to be an 32bit gcc-executable which generate > executable binaries for my ATMEL ...
You really don't want to do that. It's rather tricky, and it shouldn't be required.
> * Additional "chuck" audio application only available for 32bit > Linux, to be compiled with th...
Just use the arm-linux-gcc compiler and you should be fine regardless of the width of the host on which you built the arm-linux-gcc compiler. -- Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! It's the RINSE CYCLE!! at They've ALL IGNORED the gmail.com RINSE CYCLE!!