From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Clusters on Gentoo ?
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 16:52:38
1 Howdy one and all,
2
3 Many see a world where clusters abound even for the small business and
4 resource capable enthusist [1]. Clusters of old PCs are the norm, but a slew
5 of new extremely low powered 64bit embedded systems, running embedded linux,
6 with ample ram (ddr4 even) and up to (8) SATA-3 ports will undoubtly
7 be the targets of aquistion by hobbyist around the world. Other with more
8 salient goals are sure to follow!
11 For example, we (Gentoo) have just had one of the "titans" of the embedded
12 linux world, return to Gentoo. Linaro is the default industry group that
13 is leading the charge in new development for linux based embedded system
14 sharing most of their work with the larger open source communities.
15 Thomas Gall aka. tgall is working for Linaro as the acting director of the
16 Linaro Mobile Group [8,9]. Clusters will seemlessly integrate CPUs, GPUs,
17 Arms, FPGA, SOCs and many other instantiations of computational resources,
18 sooner rather than later. The Billion dollar players already run these sorts
19 of amalgamations for a very wide variety of reasons, so why should't the
20 bands of linux_commoners have access to such raw power? [10]
23 In a recent thread (schedulers) it was noted that several folks had interest
24 in clusters (privately operated clouds) as more than a passing interest.
25 Companion projects, such as Apache's "Spark" [4] have tremendous potential
26 as aggressive solutions such diverse fields as social media relationships,
27 distributed database techniques and new, massively parallel programing
28 paradymes for computationally intensive scientific endeavors, just to
29 mention a few [5,6,7].
32 So I'm soliciting the readers of this list to post any references to
33 distributed/cluster/cloud softwares/fileSystems they are aware of, have used
34 or would like to see; to guage interest in Mesos, Chronos, Spark (apache) as
35 well as all other open source cluster (distributed) systems or tools [2].
36 My collection of such is sporadic, at best, and serves mostly my
37 math/science needs. Project Aethna, is one of the oldest efforts, still
38 kicking at MIT, the last I heard [3]. Newer/cooler efforts?
41 Hopefully, we can all share ideas and brainstorm about how Gentoo users
42 can lead the pack of linux distros into this brave_new world. [Overlays?]
45 curiously,
46 James
50 [1]
51 http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcochiappetta/2014/07/31/amd-opteron-64-bit-arm-based-seattle-dev-kits-are-shipping/?partner=yahootix