From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth is impossible
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:07:27
1 On 25 Jan 2010, at 01:33, Grant wrote:
2
3 > I have a TRENDnet TBW-105UB USB bluetooth adapter and Motorola H560
4 > bluetooth headset, and I'm trying to use them with twinkle VOIP
5 > software. I've spent at least 8 hours today following up with every
6 > single lead and I can't figure out how this is supposed to work. I
7 > think I don't have the 2 devices "pairing". The instructions here:
8 >
9 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/bluetooth-guide.xml
10 >
11 > seem to be completely outdated. I installed blueman in the hopes that
12 > it would help facilitate pairing, but I only get python errors when I
13 > try to run the binaries. Is it gnome-only? I'm running xfce4.
14
15 Dumb question, Grant, but you are using the right passkey, right?
16
17 These headsets have it built into them, and you usually have to do
18 something like hold down the headset's power button for 4 or 6 seconds
19 (instead of just pushing it and letting go, as you would normally do
20 to power on the device) and the indicator light will flash (or flash
21 more slowly than usual, or change colour or in some other way indicate
22 it's doing things differently). This initiates pairing mode on the
23 headset, and you have 10 or 20 seconds to pair.
24
25 The passkey of the headset is usually fixed at 0000, but check the
26 manual. You can't change it, and you'll need to match your PC to that.
27
28 It seems like you're a bit frustrated by all this, the way you've
29 posted without giving us any information. If you're struggling with
30 the concept of pairing, then I suggest you try pairing the headset
31 with your phone & using it, just to get the hang of it. If you don't
32 have a bluetooth phone, maybe you could borrow one? Usually headsets
33 pair with phones pretty easily, first or second time, just as soon as
34 you've worked out which of the tiny little buttons to hold in the
35 right way for pairing. Once you've got this sussed out it'll pair
36 immediately - or even automatically - with your PC.
37
38 The article doesn't look *that* out of date to me, as it mentions "...
39 with >=bluez-libs-3.x and >=bluez-utils-3.x, pin helpers have been
40 replaced..." and here on my systems versions 2.25 are still marked as
41 stable. On the other hand I see that 3.36 is marked as stable, too. :/
42
43 Stroller.