From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev: boot failure
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 02:54:42
1 On Wednesday 12 December 2012 08:07:46 AM IST, James wrote:
2 >
3 > OK so lots of updates (mostly kde 4.9.3)
4 > to several systems today. 2 or the 3 are fine
5 >
6 > One got hosed. Error message upon reboot
7 >
8 > config_devdmpfs=y is required in your kernel configuration
9 > for this version of udev to run successfully
10 > this requires immediate action
11 > mdev: sys/class no such file mdev
12 > Error udev-mount failed to start
13 >
14 > Error cannot start udev as udev-mo9unt would not start
15 >
16 > So I booted the system with system rescue
17 > and got the partitions mounted
18 > (boot and /) / contains /var and /usr
19 >
20 > looking into : /mnt/gentoo/new/usr/portage/sys-fs/udev
21 > I cannot tell what version of udev (udev mount)
22 > and others (udev-init-scipts ?) were installed
23 > and how to roll this back.
24 >
25 > Any guidance on rolling back these errors is most
26 > welcome
27 >
28 > James
34 It's not a udev problem. You need to recompile your kernel with
35 devtmpfs support.
36 It can be found in device-drviers -> generic driver options.
39 Nilesh Govindarajan
40 http://nileshgr.com