From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge 32bits on 64bits platform
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:04:46
1 On 08/17/2010 06:43 AM, Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 8/16/2010 2:13 PM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
3 >> I have read several things about this, but never really solved !
4 >>
5 >> Can I emerge a 32bits software on 64bits platform with a multilib profile ?
6 >>
7 >> All my web browsers (konqueror, opera, chromium, firefox) are 64bits, whereas
8 >> flash player exist currently in 32bits. So, I need to have 32bits browser ! Can
9 >> I emerge ?
10
11 Well, you can certainly make a 32 bit chroot directory and compile
12 things in there. That works on x86_64 quite nicely. (Never tried it on
13 the sparcs 'coz I got rid of the SPARCstations long ago.)
14
15 I don't know how you'd peel out the results of your compile and place
16 them into your 64 bit "host" without mucking up things. I guess you
17 could use binpkg or some such but you'd still have the problem of
18 unwrapping the 32 bit pkg in your 64 bit host. Yuck.