From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext"
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 00:47:11
1 On Tue, 26 May 2009 22:07:10 +0100
2 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > On 26 May 2009, at 15:31, Daniel Iliev wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> Looks like `echo media-video/mplayer mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3
8 > >> 3dnow 3dnowext >> /etc/portage/package.use` unless someone else is
9 > >> able to be more informative.
10 > >>
11 > >
12 > > Yes, just add "cpudetection" to those or put it in in make.conf.
13 >
14 > Apparently not!
15 >
16 > I rebuilt using that flag & received this message:
17 >
18 > * You've enabled the cpudetection flag. This feature is
19 > * included mainly for people who want to use the same
20 > * binary on another system with a different CPU architecture.
21 > * MPlayer will already detect your CPU settings by default at
22 > * buildtime; this flag is used for runtime detection.
23 > * You won't need this turned on if you are only building
24 > * mplayer for this system. Also, if your compile fails, try
25 > * disabling this use flag.
26 >
27 > I think this speaks for itself.
28 >
29 > Stroller.
33 I can't see any problems here?
34
35 The idea is to enable the "cpudetection" flag and all USE flags which
36 correspond to one or another extended instruction set (EIS) and build
37 mplayer with support for all EIS plus extra code for "*run-time* cpu
38 detection". This way mplayer *could* use all EIS that are implemented
39 in its code, but *will* detect which EIS are supported by your CPU and
40 use only them. In other words the same binary will use different EIS on
41 different CPUs.
42
43 There could be problems if you had enabled all the EIS flags globally
44 (in make.conf) instead only for mplayer, because other programs don't
45 have the "run-time cpu detection" feature and will fail in their
46 attempts to use for example 3dnow! on an Intel CPU.
47
48 I hope I was clear enough, apologies for my Englush.
51 Best regards,
52 Daniel