From: Ralph Seichter <m16+gentoo@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up fetchmail to feed postfix
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 16:13:43
1 On 27.11.17 14:44, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > Do I really need to do that on this small, low-volume network? What do
4 > I lose by letting postfix and fetchmail write files for dovecot to read?
5
6 It is very easy to configure Postfix to use an LMTP socket provided
7 by Dovecot (paths match typical installations, adapt if necessary):
8
9 # /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf
10 service lmtp {
11 unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
12 user = postfix
13 group = postfix
14 mode = 0660
15 }
16 }
17
18 # /etc/postfix/main.cf
19 mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp
20
21 These few lines save you from all the potential hassle that sharing
22 read/write access to the same files could bring. Dovecot will ensure
23 that indexes are up to date when mail is delivered, and that alone is
24 reason enough for me. I think the mail store belongs to the IMAP server,
25 and neither the MTA nor MUA should access that store directly via the
26 file system, but use protocols like LMTP and IMAP to communicate with
27 Dovecot instead. Standard separation of responsibilities, easier to
28 maintain.
29
30 -Ralph