From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 20:27:20
1 On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 22:13:50 +0200, tastytea wrote:
2
3 > > emerge included openrc (the only version of it on my system) in the
4 > > packages it planned to remove. It was kind enough to give me a
5 > > warning that this "might" do bad things, but I was somewhat shocked
6 > > to see it there at all. I might have accidentally typed 'y' instead
7 > > of 'n'.
8 > >
9 > > Maybe the program wants revenge at me executing so seldomly. Or
10 > > something like that.
11
12 Well, it would help if you ran it more often.
13
14 > > But now, my question is how can I trust --depclean even a little bit
15 > > after that? Do I have to go through all the package versions,
16 > > manually removing the obsolete ones? There are several hundred. :-(
19 > I'm not sure why it would want to remove openrc, as far as I know it
20 > should be part of the @system set unless you're on a systemd profile.
21
22 It's the first dependency of virtual/system-manager, which in turn is
23 part of @system. I don't see why it would be removed unless you have
24 something else installed that satisfies the virtual , such as systemd or
25 runit.
26
27 > You can record it in your @world set with `emerge --select --noreplace
28 > sys-apps/openrc`. That should prevent accidental removals.
29
30 It would, but it doesn't address the issue of why portage wants to remove
31 it.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 mandelbug /man'del-buhg/ n.
38 [from the Mandelbrot set] A
39 bug whose underlying causes are so complex and obscure as to make
40 its behavior appear chaotic or even non-deterministic. This term
41 implies that the speaker thinks it is a Bohr bug, rather than
42 a heisenbug. See also schroedinbug.